Nutella sandwich dusted with powdered sugar (by Harini)
Years ago, my friends and I frequented Quartino in Chicago. We would go to this Italian tapas restaurant, usually, right after work. Most of us worked, some lived, in downtown Chicago at that time. So Quartino was a good place in a central location for a bunch of friends to regroup and replenish. We’d sit at the lively bar section, crowded our small table with wine, pizza, cheese, various small plates, and some desserts. Conversations about work, bosses, coworkers, relationships, dating, would swim together with other topics like cultures, politics, and whatever world affairs happening at the time. Time has flown by, people have moved away, but Quartino remains to be a memorable hang out spot for me.
Recently, I had the chance to return to the restaurant with a couple of old friends. One of them had mentioned Quartino earlier that day and our afternoon saunter just happened to take us close to the place. So we took it as a sign to pay a visit.
Far from feeling hungry, we just ordered drinks. But then my friend Farah asked the server, “Do you guys still have Nutella Panino?” The server said yes and took the order. I had forgotten about this simple/cannot-go-wrong dessert. Then I remembered how most of my sweet tooth friends loved this grilled Nutella sandwich. Why wouldn’t they? It’s a sandwich filled with Nutella spread, grilled, cut up, and dusted with powdered sugar!
Back in my apartment, I made my version of the panino for Jeff. I think it may have made him fell in love all over again—either with me or with Nutella 😀
So here’s how I do my version of Nutella Panino.
(Eater discretion is advised)
To serve two, we will need:
- 4 slices of bread (I am loving these Wholesome Oatmeal bread at the moment)
- Nutella spread
- A little bit of butter
- A little bit of powdered sugar
Grill the sandwich and gently press down with a small pan lid
- Heat up a small non-stick pan. Stay on medium heat. (I don’t have a panini press so I grill the sandwich manually)
- Spread Nutella on one side of a bread and cover with another bread
- Add a little bit of butter on the hot pan until it is melted
- Place the sandwich on the pan, grill, and press very gently with a small pan lid until the bread gets that nice golden color
- Turn and grill the other side
- Remove and let it cool down
- Repeat the steps for the other sandwich
- Cut up the sandwiches
- Dust with powdered sugar
Great snack to serve with dark, robust coffee.
Hope you like it and thanks for visiting!
To my old Chicago pals