It has been, what seems to me, like a million years since I last posted on my beloved blog. Let’s just say that life has been a bit eventful.We had a baby! (who is now almost a toddler), and we bought a house, then we sold the house, and then we moved across the ocean :D. A change can do you good, they say. So we, the three of us, huddle, stick together, and embrace this adventure with open arms.
Our future house is still in the works. So I am sharing a kitchen at my mom’s house. After months of eating out, I started missing cooking. Now, I have been returning to it little by little. It feels good to cook, to create, to produce again. I hope to resume and sustain this good habit here in our new world.
Last night, I cooked up a storm. But of course, I forgot to take pictures of the main dishes. I did remember to take pictures of the desserts. Oh well, let this post and the next be about sweet stuff.
Mung Beans is pretty popular in the South East Asian countries. I love having it cooked in coconut milk mixed with palm sugar. You can have it hot or cold. Either way is delightful. So here is my simple recipe for 4 people:
- 2 cups of mung beans
- 1 cup of palm sugar
- 1 cup of coconut milk (if using the light coconut milk, you can use the whole can)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 or 2 inches of ginger
- 6 cups of water
- In a medium size pot, bring water to a rolling boil
- Add mung beans and ginger. Let it cook for 5 minutes
- Turn off the stove and cover the pot.
- Let the mung beans sit for an hour in that covered pot
- After an hour, see if it needs a bit of water. If so, add enough to immerse the beans
- Turn on the stove again and add sugar. Stir well
- While stirring, add the coconut milk. Keep stirring until it starts to come to simmer again
- Turn off the stove, let it cool down, and enjoy
- Refrigerate the rest and try it cold for the next day