I know that a recipe is a good one when I get the approval of my friend’s 10 year-old little girl with selective food preferences. (I am a former picky eater myself, by the way.) This dessert, dear readers, got hers (and her mom’s and other tasters’ too). She didn’t notice the presence of beets and avocado in the cake until I told her. All she tasted was this chocolaty and soft cake with just the right level of sweetness, which I did too. Once I revealed the ingredients, this little girl told me that she wanted to make it and asked me for the recipe. Ha! This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thank you, fellow blogger Poppy’s Patisserie Bunny Kitchen!
Here’s my slightly adapted recipe (I didn’t do the chocolate glaze or almond toppings. Maybe next time. I thought that the cake was great by itself.)
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of ground pecan (I think almonds, walnuts, or cashews would work nicely too.)
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 4 tsp of cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups of mashed cooked beetroot (I used three small beets that I boiled for about 30—40 minutes, peeled, and ran in a food processor)
- 1 cup of honey (The original recipe asked for half agave and half date syrups. I went with honey instead.)
- 1 cup of mashed avocado
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup of dark chocolate chips, melted
Steps (I pretty much follow the original recipe):
- Preheat the oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, pecan, baking powder, baking soda, salt) in a bowl
- Mix the wet ingredients (mashed beetroot, honey, mashed avocado, canola oil, vanilla extract, melted dark chocolate) in a separate bowl
- Combine the dry and the wet ingredients. Whisk, beat, mix it really well.
- Pour the batter into a 9-inch round baking pan and bake it for an hour to an hour and a half. Make sure a cake tester (I use a skewer) comes out clean once inserted into the cake.
Hope you like it!
Have a good day
For Nana Banana
Original recipe: Possibly the Worlds Healthiest Chocolate Cake: Beetroot and Avocado Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze and Toasted Almond Gold Dust by Poppy’s Patisserie Bunny Kitchen