Baked Tempeh. My parents would probably chuckle when they read this post’s title. You see, tempeh is one of Indonesia’s staple food and a favorite of mine. Typically, we’d just sprinkle salt on it and brown it in a pan with a little bit of oil. It is delicious, simple, and humble. Now, as much as I love having tempeh, I loathe getting oil splatter all over my stove, kitchen, skin, and clothes. So, my solution to avoid such a mess: bake them in the oven. Why not, right?
Tempeh absorbs seasonings and marinades quite well. So, we could just salt it OR add more flavors to it. I like to do a dry rub with a few spices for mine. Here’s how I prepare the baked tempeh:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- I slice tempeh into thin rectangular cuts
- Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil on the tempeh cuts and brush to coat evenly
- Sprinkle a little bit of salt, cayenne pepper powder, turmeric powder, and coriander powder
- Mix these spices with the tempeh cuts and make sure each is well coated
- Bake for 15 minutes or until they turn golden brown
They are still that delicious, simple, and humble tempeh that I like so much, even with the added ingredients and steps.
Great to serve alongside a vegetable dish and rice
Hope you like it.