A few weeks ago, Jeff prepared a corn dish to serve alongside our steak and tomato salad. He basically just cooked thawed frozen corn kernels in a little bit of butter and cayenne pepper powder. I couldn’t believe how that simple process produced such a delicious dish. I was hooked and inspired to create a salad out of it.
This colorful salad just screams summer, don’t you think? 🙂 It’s a little sweet and spicy, lemony, crunchy, and mmm…it’s got that wonderful cilantro’s fragrance!
Here’s what we will need for my version:
- A bag of thawed frozen corn or peeled fresh corn kernels from four to six ears
- One tablespoon of unsalted butter
- One red bell pepper (cored and chopped)
- Cayenne pepper powder (I also added three fresh cayenne peppers. But PLEASE adjust to your piquant-tolerance level)
- Black Pepper
- A handful of chopped cilantro (if you’re not a cilantro fan, go with parsley).
- Lemon juice from 1 lemon
- Heat up a medium pan
- Melt the butter
- Add the chopped bell pepper and corn kernels. Cover with a lid and let cook for 5 minutes (until the butter and water that comes out of the corn and bell pepper start to bubble).
- Remove from the heat
- Add salt, pepper, a dash of cayenne powder, cilantro, and drizzle with the lemon juice. Mix and serve. You could also chill it in the fridge and serve it cold.